Monday, January 07, 2008

Barbershop music is cool!!

Posted to LJ on January 6th, 2008 at 11:47 PM

My parents came up to visit me this weekend and stayed over before going to an annual Wine, Cheese and singing party thrown by a Barbershopping friend who lives in Jamestown, RI. As usual, they had an award winning Quartet there to sing and they were really fantastic. They are called Showcase. They are part of a womens Barbershop organization called Harmony Incorporated. Barbershop music is how my parents met. I grew up with it in my house; both of my parents directed choruses for years. So I love it and have heard all the songs for years. I like going to events with them from time to time and letting them introduce me and show me off a little. Of course, all the ladies ask me if I sing. I tell them yes, in a game. I briefly explain larping and most of them get it. The bottom line is that it's like improvisational theatre, except we are our own audience. And I play(ed) a performer. So that fills my music niche very well. :-)

I had a nice time. It was good to see them and we had a nice time together.

More about Barbershop music another time.

No comments: