Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Wendela!

Posted to my LJ on April 14th, 2008 at 10:51 am

This is a formal Happy Motherfuckin' Birthday to my oldest friend, Wendy! By "oldest", I mean that this year, Wendy and I will have known each other for 35 (yes, THIRTY-FIVE) years!



We met on the corner of 146th Street and Booth Memorial Avenue in Flushing, Queens. The story goes that I was 3 and she was 4 and I am not sure how we were both on the corner, but it was soon after she had moved directly across the street from me. It was a kind of, "Hi, I'm Linda," "Hi, I'm Wendy," "Let's be friends," "Ok," sort of thing. We have been friends ever since then! There was a brief, summer-long period of turmoil when a third friend caused friction between us, but that was way back in 1981 and long since forgotten. We have gone through times when we didn't get in touch for several months, or a year, and didn't see each other for a couple of years at a time. But as soon as we saw each other we would always say hi the same way, by jumping up and down hugging because we were so happy to see each other again! It was never an issue that we didn't see each other or talk all the time. We would pick up just where we left off, catching each other up on our lives and our families' lives.We lived right across the street from each other for 9 years. When my family moved an hour north of NYC, she would come to visit me for a week or two at a time in the summer and we would try to swing a school vacation during the school year as well. I went to her brother's wedding and she was my maid of honor when I got married.

And four(ish) years ago, she was looking to move out of NYC (finally!) and happened to use my new home in RI as a stopover for a visit to a friend in MA. I took advantage of the time and took her around the interesting Providence sites and somehow got her to fall in love with the state enough that within a year she was living here, 2 1/2 miles from my house! It was, and still is, weird (but great!) to be living so close again.

We are the same age for a month and a half every year, and then she leaps another year forward. So, Wendy, Bi Buv Boo and wish you a happy, happy birthday!!!

BBB,
Blinbla

This is how long we have been friends...



No comments: